Kara Falkenstein
Administrative Assistant
Phone: (269) 659-7230

Tim Garbine
Property Maintenance Inspector
Phone: 269-659-7215

Will Prichard
Community Development Director
Phone: (269) 659-7235

You are here : Departments > Development Services > Community Development
Community Development

The Sturgis Community Development Department houses the Building, Planning, Zoning and Housing Departments. The goal of the Community Development Department is to implement the City's various codes and ordinances in relation to construction and building needs, as well as to direct efforts to further homeownership opportunities.


The Building Department functions to implement local building codes and review site plans. This includes issuance of building permits and building inspections.

Planning and Zoning

The Planning and Zoning Department work together to develop, interpret and enforce the City’s Zoning and other Ordinances. The Planning Department is responsible for administering City ordinances and directing growth and development of land in relation to local zoning ordinances. The Zoning Department has the duty of implementing the City's zoning ordinances, reviewing land rezoning requests, and overseeing specific land use requests.

Planning Commission: Advises the City Commission on matters relating to the development of the City and prepares and recommends a Master Plan and Zoning Code for the City as scheduled and mandated by State law.
Meets: 5:30 p.m., 3rd Tuesday, City Hall
Planning Commission Meeting Minutes

Zoning Board of Appeals: Hears all appeals concerning the Sturgis Zoning ordinance.
Meets: As needed

Property Maintenance

The City’s Property Maintenance Department registers, inspects and monitors the condition of all residential rental units within the City of Sturgis.


The Housing Department is responsible for carrying out the City's various housing programs. The Housing Department works closely with the Sturgis Neighborhood Program to administer many of these efforts. 

Other Development Links

Right-of-Way Construction Permits
For construction involving City Right-of-Way, a permit from the City Engineer’s Office is required. This include work on drive approaches (between the street and the property line), utilities, sidewalks and any other work in the street right-of-way. Contact the City Engineer at (269) 659-7249 for more information.

A State mandated “one-call” system for the location and staking of underground utilities prior to excavation or construction. You can contact MISS DIG by calling 811, 1-800-482-7171, or visiting them online at Please contact at least three working days in advance. The City receives an email with the appropriate information to complete our portion of the utility location.

City Utilities
Information on utility connections and services for City of Sturgis Electric, Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater can be found on the Utilities Page.

Non-City Utilities
The following links are provided for your convenience to set up some of the non-city utilities you may require: